Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Adventure in adult education

When my SS (Sensational Spouse) and I reached the top of the stairs at Camden's High Mountain Hall http://www.highmountainhall.com/
I had a sense that we just might have been directed to the wrong class. Since I grew out of my bicycling shorts I haven't owned any lycra or spandex garments, and ahead of us on the dance floor I could see an awful lot of the stretchy material attached to very confident healthy looking, non-male bodies. (continued below video)
Not to worry, Korinn  http://www.highmountainhall.com/teachers/korinn-scattoloni, our charming instructor introduced herself and immediately apologized for a scheduling publishing error.  The error, of course, being that Monday night's classes were for advanced Zumba, but no problem, we were totally welcome to join in and we would have no difficulty picking it up.

SS and I looked at each other, shrugged and said of course we would join in.  Mercifully the hourlong session started almost immediately, eliminating further contemplation on my state of supreme un-fitness.  If you watch the You Tube clip above you will get the gist of Zumba.  Korinn was absolutely right in that each participant can go at their own level and have a thoroughly enjoyable time.  The old human bod is a wonderfully self regulated life form, so there really is no fear of injury.  However five minutes into the routine every muscle in my body was crying out for mercy but one is enjoying the music and movement so much that mercy has to wait!  

Towards the end of the program I became deeply aware of the contrast of my vision of Korinn executing a sinuous, graceful set of moves looking like a cross between the Hindu Goddess Durga and Kylie Minogue, while I, in attempting the same set of moves, looked like a senile orangutan with three herniated discs.  One's internal voice can be so cruel sometimes!

Besides SS and myself there was one other complete novice and at the end the three of us were soundly applauded by the rest of the class.  The class was a thorough delight with an inspirational instructor and a group of friendly people of a very wide age range.  We have four more classes so watch for updates!

1 comment:

  1. Zumbatastic. This craze has not (yet) reached Warwick. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete