Thursday, April 30, 2009

Recent Reads


Kate Atkinson's When Will There be Good News is an absolute gem.  This is the 3rd Ms. Atkinson novel I have read and the 2nd featuring investigator Jackson Brodie.  She has a way with dialogue and her general prose which brings to mind words flowing as easily as water pours over a waterfall.  She has a great sense of humor and of character without brooding or noir-ish cliches. Everything I have read of hers has been refreshing and gripping, so much so that I don't want to get to the end as soon as I do!  

4 comments:

  1. I've only read Behind the Scenes at the Museum - whoops, that's Kate Saunders. Blush. Gosh, I've got my blog comments off to a good start here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No worries - you did get the right Kate in the first place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Barrie,
    I am so happy to receive your blog and know that you are well and enjoying life. I enjoy your sense of humor as you keep us posted on your doings. Thank you so much. I will keep up to date and will keep you postedon happenings in my life. Am so happy for you! You deserve the best! Love, Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my first Kate Atkinson book and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I liked her writing style and her ability to make you care about the characters (at least the main ones). I do agree with some of the other reviewers in that there were too many extraneous characters. This book is best read in a short period of time. If you put it down for a day or two you can kind of lose track of who is who.

    ReplyDelete