Friday, June 24, 2011

VS Ramachandran: The neurons that shaped civilization | Video on TED.com

VS Ramachandran: The neurons that shaped civilization | Video on TED.com

TED Talks are a great web resource. I confess that I first discovered the site by skimming through the weekly Viral Video Chart at http://viralvideochart.unrulymedia.com/ which can too frequently, for me, be an exercise in egregious attention deficit time wasting. Anyway a while ago I stumbled upon Ken Robinson’s wonderful talk Changing Educational Paradigms http://www.ted.com/talks/ken_robinson_changing_education_paradigms.html and I instantly became a fan of the TED Talks website.
I have featured a brief talk by V.S. Ramachandran, the director of the Center for Brain and Cognition at the University of California, San Diego. I find him very compelling. His presentations are not glitzy or full of high tech media materials. His passion for his subject matter along with his precise content organization enthralled me and helped to make sense of a subject, neurology, which I would ordinarily have thought was “beyond” my powers of understanding.
I chose V.S. Ramachandran’s presentation above because it was both excellent and brief. Check it out and you too will be a fan of TED Talks!

No comments:

Post a Comment