Monday, September 21, 2009


I have been walking past this plaque for ages and have not noticed it. The other day I did notice it and have since become a little bit obsessed by it.

It seems to me that while we are in a period of rebuilding our economy right now, the Great Depression of the 1930's will remain the mother of all depressions (I hope).

So many wonderful projects came out of the Works Progress Administration and in a small way the little bridge across the Megunticook River on Knowlton Street at its junction with Mechanic Street in Camden, Maine is worthy of consideration and appreciation just as we appreciate the many more dramatic projects of the era - I'm thinking of the development of accessibility for all to our great National Parks.

I just love what seems to me to be the enduring beauty of this little plaque. The typeface is just wonderful. I have sought help in learning more about this typeface design. Luckily for me my brother Rory's good friend Brett Jordan over in England is a typography boffin and he is in the process of enlightening me.

I am very grateful to Brett for this help, and would be grateful indeed to anyone reading this who could help me in further research regarding design in the period of the WPA!

2 comments:

  1. What a super post!

    It's so easy not to notice things like this, isn't it?

    I shall keep my eyes peeled fro similar items around here!

    ReplyDelete