Sunday, July 26, 2009

Three Swedish Connections





Saturday, July 25, 2009 - Arrowsic Island, Maine
I spend the morning watching the folks at Hennin Post & Beam raise a structure. Before I know it I am pounding nails fixing 2" X 6" tongue & groove planks to beams. Myself and five other students at the Shelter Institute Design/Build course are observing and at times participating in the raising of this small building and the owner has very generously allowed us to put our own unique marks on his property.

As the posts and beams go up I notice Pat Hennin, the Hennin clan's somewhat eccentric patriarch, controlling a superb Swedish Volvo crane truck like a ballet master effortlessly moving his pupils through the air and placing them just so at centre stage. Only he is shifting his bulk-bought BooForssjo Swedish lumber into exactly its correct position on the slab foundation.

Later in the day I rendezvous with my Swedish-American Bra Fru (Good Wife!) and we meet up with students and members of the Hennin family for supper at the delightful Five Islands Lobster pound for a very pleasant, relaxing supper.




No comments:

Post a Comment